Thursday, June 19, 2008

Gender confusion and confessions





We are settling into having a new little person in our house. It has been fun to see how the girls react to having a brother. Mads is so loving it and is starting to "mother". She wants to carry him all over the house. She is also very fascinated in all aspects of diapering, feeding etc. (We have really enjoyed some of her looks and questions as she gazes at his unfamiliar "parts"). Maddie had the nerve the other day to tell me that Colton has a Jimmy Neutron head. Poor kid.

Maddie and Halle are also learning a whole new set of anatomical terms. Mads got out some carrots today and started singing "Carrots are good for your prostate." (Perhaps I tell her that tomatoes are good for hers when she complains about eating them.). One day she might figure out that she does not have one...and that carrots are good for your eyes, not other "parts".

Halle on the other hand, has also learned a new word. Compliments of one of the mothers in our ward. It is that "P" word that I am still not mature enough to say, let alone have my kids say. She has, on a couple of occasions, announced to people about her "penis". Well this week, my mom took her to the bathroom at a park, and handed her some TP when she was done and asked her to wipe her bum. Halle said, "It's not my bum, it's my bum bum....and my penis". I have tried to tell her that that is what boy's parts are called, and since she is a girl, that she does not have them, but alas, we are still having a bit of gender confusion.



This is really her new dolphin named Jewelry.

5 comments:

Shanda said...

Congratulations!! He is so cute! I'm sorry I'm a little behind on checking! We just barely got the internet here! ;) I know I embarrassed my mom a lot when my little brother was born using the 'p' word...but I grew out of it because I don't use that word either! ;) I hope all is well! We're excited to meet him in the Fall!

Kelly said...

Ahh...the "p" word. Just you wait until Colton is 3 and announces to everyone at a ball game that he has a "p" word, but uses the word, just like Dad. Kade did that just last month. I was only a little embarrassed but then had to laugh. Growing up with 5 brothers the "p" word was used a lot but I wasn't ready for my little man to start using it all the time. He's proud of it. What can I do? Worry about it or sit back and laugh.

Family jewels is something I've heard the part referred to if you're looking for something else to call it.

bryony said...

Many congrats! We are so excited for you. Colton couldn't have joined a better family. What a cute kid.

We are glad not to have to deal with the "p" word yet. Only recently did Brynn observe "hey, boys have bums in the front; girls have bums in the back!" Hope that suffices for a while.

--Ben & the girls

Julie said...

That is so funny. Kathryn insisted for the longest time that she had a penis too, just like Seth. No matter how many times we tried to tell her that her parts weren't the same as Seth's and she had a vagina, she didn't care and would still say, "Mom my penis hurts."
Good luck with the new baby, I hope he sleeps wonderful for you :)

Emilee said...

My girls use the term "peanut". And it's difficult to correct that one, especially when it's used in public. There've been enough baby boy diapers changed at our house (from babysitting groups, etc.) to warrant the explanations, and I am fairly certain I don't have a speech impediment, but "peanut" it remains.