Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Pica

So when some women are pregnant, or sometimes just themselves, they tend to crave strange and unusual things: Chalk, dirt,etc... these tend to be medically significant. Well, this weekend, Halle has come down with a case of pica. She believes that she also has a baby in her tummy, and that when she eats she is feeding it. Mike and I were doing some work around the house on Sat, and low and behold, there was the dreaded silence. Silence is never good. Mike went on a Halle hunt, and he discovered the door to our food storage was open, and a flashlight was turned on, but no Halle. The playroom door, however, was closed. He peered in and a small Barbie tent was set up in the middle of the room. He called Halle's name and out popped her head... and the hand that was holding a package of Jell-o powder. (strawberry flavored horse hooves....mmmmmm always a good healthy snack.) She is really starting to be naughty this one.



So two days later, I was cooking dinner and Halle was quiet again. Mike went hunting again, and found the usual lump in her bed. Beside her on the floor was a reddish purple wet spot. We tried asking her what it was.... then came much denial. "I don't know". It was not until Mike did the taste test from the carpet and I found a brand new bottle of Benadryl (that had just under a quarter of it's contents missing) that we made the connection. That, and the fact that she fell asleep soon after. We are still not sure how much she drank, but we do know that she slept fabulously that night and did not itch once. What remains to be seen is what else this kid will do.

8 comments:

S&J Spanos said...

Great job with the taste test mike. You are quite the detective. Halle sounds like she is still a trip. Have fun and enjoy the times.

Kelly said...

Maybe you should give her more attention. She will be the middle child after all. This could be just the beginning. Good luck. For your sake I really hope this is just a phase and will be over in less than a year.

Kindt Family said...

Haha- that looks tasty! I used to sneak spoonfuls of powdered sugar. It fades out, don't worry. Actually... I do have a pretty serious sugar addiction.. so maybe you should worry a LITTLE bit & try to curb that over time! :) Either way, good memories.

Jeff and Larissa said...

Mike, we have a couple of spots on the carpet we need you to "test". Do you mind? Kelly, at least you know how to get her to sleep good at night now. Jeff calls Benadryl "vitamin B". :)

Tiffany said...

Hey Kelly, this is Tiffany from Glendale! How are you guys?!? Your girls are so big! Our blog is nostrabellavita.blogspot.com.

Karalenn Hippen said...

Oh dear. I laughed so hard. This reminded me of my Makenzie so much. Thankfully she has grown out of that phase as much. Now she just makes up stories about naughty kids for me to laugh at and creates experiments with her microscope and anything she can round up. SO it's mostly confined and I'm greatful she has a curious and creative mind. Don't worry. She's grow out of it a bit. :) Love the taste testing. Very brave. Something tells me Mike and you were somewhat of a Halle.

Unknown said...

What patience! Jerry and I tend to yell first and only later laugh enough to wish we had pictures!

Jenny said...

She is great! There's nothing like free entertainment from your kids!! :) We are missing everyone already and wishing we could come visit sooner than later. Can't wait to read about the next adventure!