Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Running Man

Yep, it's another long day on OB. Lots of screaming women and raging hormones. Not necessarily my cup of tea. Thank goodness it's been fairly quiet today - no inverted uteruses like last week. I helped assist with a C-section for one of my clinic patients this morning. The rest of the day has been filled with a couple deliveries and lots of triage.

Even though I often make snide comments about OB, I had a rewarding experience with a patient today. Believe it or not, we had a married couple who had a nice delivery this afternoon. The mom and dad both seemed very supportive, caring and on-the-ball (not our average patient population). At times like this, being able to participate in the delivery of a newborn is kind of a special experience. The field of medicine provides some unique experiences as you assist others with entering this mortal existence and help others leave. I wonder if the veil thins at times like this.

Earlier this week, I had one of the neatest experiences...ironically also in the field of OB, albiet with my own wife. When triage was running a little slow, Kelly came to the hospital and found an empty triage room. We set up the ultrasound machine and found our new little baby, kicking like crazy. Yes, Kelly's about 12 weeks pregnant and due about the 1st week of June! We were able to see the baby's head, spine, arms, legs and beating heart. It seemed like the legs were kicking a million times a minute. Maddie and Halle laughed as they watched the baby twitch on the monitor. I could see the fear in Kelly's eyes - "No! Not another Maddie!" One of Halle's favorite tricks now is to immitate her little sibling by doing some weird, Galbraith-esc, choreiform dance.

Kelly's been fairly nauseous and exhausted for the last couple months, but she says she's happy to feel like garbage. She's had her share of Sierra Mist and afternoon naps. Somehow, she manages to keep our family and home running smoothly while I'm away at work much of the time. We're planning on having an official ultrasound in another 1-2 months when we can determine the gender. We feel pretty blessed. We've been trying to have more children for quite some time, so we are grateful for this opportunity. Maybe we'll be kicking ourselves in a year.

Well, I better run. More folks to see in triage and a code blue just called overhead. Doesn't look like much sleep tonight!

12 comments:

Melissa said...

Congratulations! I'm placing my bet now - another girl in Mike's life!!

Jeff and Larissa said...

If it's dancing in the womb, then it must be a boy and it will be a fabulous dancer like Mike is! Actually Mike, I've only heard of your dance skills, never seen them. Time for another DDR night.

Kelly, you hide being sick really good! You're always so happy, I would've never guessed. We're so happy for you guys!

emily said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! o i am so happy for you guys! can't wait to find out if it's a blue one this time! we have 2 girls and 2 boys ... miracles do happen! love you guys - and wish you were closer! when's your next trip to the great northwest?

Kelly said...

Congrats on the baby. I'm so happy for you. Now you need a little red headed boy like mine. They are more fun than I ever would have thought. Good luck.

Jenny said...

Congrats guys... I feel honored to be the first one you told. Ryder and I are pulling for a boy... Bob the Galbraith

LindsayB said...

YAY! Congrats you guys! that is so exciting. i hope you start feeling better soon kelly. i can't believe you took on thanksgiving dinner (that is, dealing with such a large piece of raw meat) for such a big group. good for you.

whitney said...

Congratulations! And Mike I hear you about OB. I work as a RN in peds and maternity and a nice "normal" family is surprisingly hard to come by.

Kimberlee said...

Congratulations! Steve has been telling me to check out your blog and now I see why! You sure hide it well. Well I'm happy you feel like garbage too, if it means another cute little Galbraith on the way. Besides, you will be feeling better anytime now!

Susie said...

Yeah Congratulations to you guys!! that is very exciting. You have a super cute family and sounds like you are keeping busy and enjoying it all.

Shelly and Ken said...

Congratulations, that is really exciting news. Hey we did it 2 girls and then a boy. Boys are a lot of fun ya gotta try one.

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

Three cheers for the Galbraiths!HIP HIP HOORAY!! (Just repeat three times) We're glad to hear your exciting news! Kelly, sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. Hopefully it will not last too much longer :)