The Beginning of December was so BUSY. I, as the leader formerly known as the Enrichment Leader, had a progressive dinner at our church, with a musical program too. (well...as much of a musical program that I could put together... not being particularly musically inclined!). I think that it went well, but HOLY stress. I am now even more of the opinion "less is more!". But it is over, and I have taken a self imposed vacation from planning all of December. It was very nice!
After my Church duties, I was free to pick my very first live Christmas tree. My mom and I drove up to the foothills of the mountains with the kids, and we put Hal and Colt in a sled, and snowshoed up to find the perfect tree.
I felt a bit like Chevy Chase on Christmas Vacation when he finds THE TREE and the light is shining down on it.

So much fun. It is a lot of work to pull a large tree through a forest, wearing snowshoes. But it was So worth it. The kids had a blast... until Colton got snow in his boots and then was miserable. I am excited to go again next year!
We had Church Christmas parties. Skating Christmas parties. School Christmas parties, and School Christmas programs. Mike covered A LOT of Hockey games for our local Hurricanes (WHL minor league hockey team ) We got to go to a game with him one night with all the kids. They loved it until the buzzer went off and the game started. Then Halle and Colton (who was already super tired) started to melt down. So I took the younger two home and left Mads with Mike. She got to watch as he sewed up a skate blade gash to the neck that missed the kids jugular, but was pretty impressive. She thinks she is really grown up when she gets to help her dad out!!! Super cute. On the way home Mike was making conversation and said how it was sad that Mom and the younger two did not get to stay for the whole game. Mads said "Yeah, it is sad that they went home after the first period... Not like a woman's period.... you know the bleeding." Mike was seriously creeped out. We have been working on not having puberty talks with EVERYONE you meet. Just between mom and Mads... Not working. She tried to have another talk with my Dad one night. And anyone who knows my dad would understand how uncomfortable he was with it. I don't think that I have ever heard him talk about any sort of "girl things", so to have his granddaughter bring stuff up... super funny! Sorry Dad.. we are trying to get her to just talk to me!!!
While we are on the topic of Mads... She and her little BFF are SUPER boy crazy. They get together and talk about who is in love with them and how they know. Apparently if you stare at someone all the time you are for sure in love. Mads was telling me one day how most of the boys in her class are in love with her. I asked her how she knows, and she just says that they are ALWAYS looking at her.. (how does she know that? she must be looking at them!!) Anyways, I was upstairs reading when she and her friend were having a snack one day, and they were discussing Max. Madison's "Love of her Life" this year.
Mad's friend says to Mads.."What are his qualities?" (here is where I have to pull my hoodie over my nose so they do not see me chuckling) .
Mads says"Well, he has reddish blondish hair, and freckles all over his face"
Her friend says "Yeah, and he has clearish skin like yours" (she has nice olive coloured skin, and I assume she must of meant that Mads is fair skinned)
Anyways, I think that I am amused at kids this age. Super Pre-teen attitude all the time, but really funny to listen to. I am so glad that she has chosen a young man with such nice qualities to fall in love with. He he he he he... And a friend who is willing to discuss them in front of the mother.
Halle has been her usual self all holidays. So excited about Santa coming, and writing letters to him, and getting them back in the mail, and writing more letters. She got all sorts of soft things for Christmas. One of the softest blankets known to mankind (the Sherpa throw from Kohls) and a huge kitty pillow, soft fuzzy jammies to replace some of the jammies my mom has taken a serious dislike to... (maybe because they are SO short, and tight, and give her the most incredible wedgies) . She told my sisters that on Christmas she was in "fuzz heaven".
Love that kid and all of her quirks. She is SO sad to go back to school. Tues was her "Wost day Evoh". As every day is when she has something to do that requires her to take off her jammies, and leave Fuzz heaven behind in her room. Oh, and anything that requires her to be at all active. (it's so bowring!)
Colton has been his usual whirlwind of terror self. He has worked really hard all by himself at potty training. Here is his first attempt at a bowel movement on the potty!! (I found this when he came out of the bathroom and into the kitchen where I was doing dishes, and his backside looked pretty much like the toilet...) Yuck.
I can happily say that it was the only time he made that mess, and now does not even need diapers. I bought him some pull-ups for nights, and he does not even need those now. I was not planning on doing this potty training thing for another few months, but I am happy to say that it is over and behind me now. (I mean us!). He does now have his very own distinct fashion sense. He loves gonchies (tighty whities), and his philosophy is where one is good.. Seven is better. And when you have characters on your gonchies, and the dang manufacturers put them on the back... then to be able to admire them properly you just put those things on backwards. So many days he will have six or seven pairs of undies on, and most if not all of them will be on backwards. He also insists that he wear them without pants... because who really wants to cover up all that awesomeness. And if you can convince him to cover them up it is almost always with swimming suits. Tonight we even layered the suits for bed. Smallest on top.
I have so much more to write, and so many pictures to post. ( I need to get them from my mom though) Mike this year for Christmas outdid himself. Anyone who knows how cute my hubby is, also knows that he is a Super ladies man...(wink wink). One year for Christmas he got me a cheesegrater (because we needed one) and another year he got me a snow shovel. (super romantic!!! I was greatful every one of the winters we were in South Bend.... but it has been mentioned that although practicality is nice... sometimes, especially at Christmas, frivility is welcomed) This year he got me one of my most dearest wishes....
Larissa, you will be proud of him........ A new computer... and not just any computer.... one that has just one cord (a major selling feature)..... my iMac. I LOVE IT. And I love him. I just have to figure out how in the world to work it. I just figured out how to copy and paste the other day. Super proud of myself. I have no idea how to get pictures from emails to save to a folder. So when I have my mom come over, she will share pictures with me, and I will be able to tell you all about our fun Christmas break with all of my siblings!!!
9 comments:
Boy I love your posts! Your lives never seem to have a dull moment! Your kids crack me up. Glad you were able to get a real tree! How fun.
Oh how we miss the Galbraith family! It has been way too long! You guys sound like you are doing well! Your children crack me up! I could read your blog forever! Hugs!!!
Man I was laughing the whole time! Totally understand about the Mac. Sam got me a new one this past summer (for my birthday) and I am still constantly learning how to work things. Like the other day (by the way we have a wireless mouse and it doesn't have a right click and there are so many useful uses for a right click button) I finally figured how to right click--control button and click at the same time!! Amazing, I have to ask my sister who has an mac too. Good luck I sure love mine now that I have it a little more figured out--especially the picture thing (you have to export them to a folder and then you can work with them, emailing, editing, etc.) Anyways...
So nice catching up with you! You have the best things to write about!! :0) Hilarious post. The real tree thing sounds awesome! I think I should move to Canada...
I laughed out loud at least 4.5 times. You guys are the cutest family. AND: I got a macbook for Christmas too! I just figured out how to work the touchpad. I keep accidentally making the screen zoom in and out. Hehe. You'll have to post your mac tips here, too. :D
Love you guys!
<3
Hey, I just found your blog. Loved reading all your stories - potty training, Madisons and Isabelle's crushes, and how hallie loves comfyness. Jaycie is the same. As soon as she gets home from school, on go her jammies. I can't wait to read more. Our blog is
http://web.me.com/jclowry1
oh and if you ever need any mac help I'm pretty good at them and jeff knows them inside and out. So call me.
Oh how I miss you guys! I love your tree!! you have such a fun family so fun to hear about them!
OUI! Nice potty picture! Looks like something your Mom would post! You guys crack me up! I love reading your blog- I have a blog now too! Not sure why but it's my feeble attempt at keeping a journal www.caroldrobinson.blogspot.com
Post a Comment