Saturday, August 8, 2009

A Walk Down Memory Lane

A friend of mine recently posted on her blog about her little girl cutting her own hair and how devastated the mom was about it. It reminded me of the reason why in preschool, the teacher told me that Madison was doing great in everything except using scissors. Let me share with you all the reason for her not "excelling" in that part of preschool.
I have mentioned and hinted before that Madison was a busy kid. She was, and she was also always into things. ALWAYS. I was constantly trying to get her to use her creativity in positive ways. We crafted A LOT. We did playdough, painted, colored and even did some cutting. She was 3 1/2 and I trusted her quite a bit. I felt like I could leave her at the table and go feed Halle, or put her down for a nap without Mads getting into too much trouble. WRONG. One day I came in from putting Halle down and Mads had taken a large chunk of hair out of her bangs... And another swipe on the side. My poor friend Melanie Lemon got a call and she managed to give Mads a really cute little bob, and aside from a large chunk out of her bangs, she looked really cute. I did (as all good parents should) threatened to shave her head bald if she ever cut her hair again... Her dream was to have lovely hair like Princess Aurora.

Here is a picture of Mads and one of her best Buddies, Ryken as her hair was growing out from her "self" cutting job.



Oh, wait, are you noticing more pictures....???? Sadly the story continues. (Yes, Bonnie, this is one of the times that sealed my testimony of take a picture and you can laugh about it later.)
Mads was playing at one of our dear friend's house with her little girl. They were often partners in the very naughtiest crimes. Funny, but most of the time naughty. I came by to pick her up, and my friend was apologizing because they has gotten into the Vaseline and smeared it all over in their hair.. (not long before that they had done the same thing with Neosporin at my house) (and just FYI in case anyone needs to know, clarifying shampoos do wonders to help get that greasy water-repelling stuff out of hair).
Sigh, I think I said something to the effect of "we should just cut all their hair off, and then we will not have to deal with it". My friend and I got to chatting, and the girls went out on the balcony to play. a few minutes later we look out and low and behold, my friend noticed that there were streamers all over the ground. Streamers from her little girl's brand new bike. She got up to go and inspect, and started saying, "oh, No, Kelly, I am so sorry." (Never a good conversation starter) "there is hair on the ground too." Oh yes, they had played beauty shop. Her little girl had the scissors and mine willingly let her cut. Her friend had got her own hair too, but Mads seemed to get the brunt of it. There were chunks down to the scalp. It was pretty bad, funny, but pretty bad. We ended up taking them across the street to a Great Clips, and I am sure that they thought that we were the WORST parents ever bringing in our girls who's hair was chopped all funky and covered in Vaseline.. Lucky for Mads her dad stepped in, and let her just have a Pixie cut, because I was ready to shave her. And to make matters worse, we were leaving to go and stay with family for the next six months and have all of our family and friends see Mads with her "nifty" new do. Ah, the shame.

I wish that these pictures turned out better, it really was so much worse than it looks.


Maddie and Gracie, if you look close, you can see the greasy looking hair from the Vaseline.


This is the after the Great Clips hair. I ended up cutting it more, I just did not know where to start in the first place. Oh, and Halle has always had...."hair". See, it is sticking up all over the place even at 1.


I somehow was not sure if she was going to learn her lesson. She got all sorts of attention and pictures taken of her, and then she got to go to a beauty salon and get a haircut. She lucky has never done that again. And Halle has only taken a couple of snips off her bangs.

So now you know why Madison was failing cutting at school. She was NOT allowed anywhere near scissors at home.

3 comments:

john-n-jess blomstedt said...

I've been lucky enough to have heard you tell this tale before and it is just as funny the second time around. I love the idea of blogging about past events that are to good not to share. I'll have to remember to do that! The horror of hair cutting stories!

LindsayB said...

oh dear, i guess i should stop complaining. i would have cried. i for sure would have guessed hallie to be the hair cutting type. i told angie we should start a support group for ll of living in our parents basement along with whitney on the block and then you mom said, i the the parents are the ones who will need the supporst group.

Hilary said...

Ahhh...that's the Mads I know!! Remember the Penaten incident? I was telling a friend about that just the other day. So fun to read all about your happenings! Cute little Colton eating sand just like his big sister. And cute Halle doing ballet...what could be better!