The much-anticipated presidential election is coming up. I can hardly wait for it to be over with! I don't care much for politics, and I don't think our family blog is the best place to discuss political issues, but I feel this is an important moral issue. We have heard much about the economy turmoil and "wonderful" bale-out plan in recent news. Here is a quote that puts a different, but important, spin on the role of strong families and the economy. This comes from Michael Medved, a radio talkshow host from my home town of beautiful, sunny (but not-so-conservative) Seattle. He explains how the success of our country, including financial and economic successes, rests upon the strength of our families.
He says there is a strong…” connection between moral and economic issues. Family and moral issues may end up playing a large role in this election, even at a time of economic crisis. Controversies regarding values aren't a distraction from financial challenges; for most Americans, there's an inescapable connection between economic and family issues. Nothing brings long-term security more reliably than stable family life and nothing predisposes people for poverty more than out-of-wedlock birth. The educational success of our children, which directly determines their financial future, depends more on values they learn at home than quality of their schools. Learning to work hard, save money and live within your means brings economic advancement and failure to learn those lessons (especially by political leaders) helped create the current crisis.”
I do not claim to be an active political genius or ever care to be. Heaven knows I’m not too psyched about either presidential candidate. But, I hope we can all remember various critical moral issues, especially those things that will affect the strength of families, when casting our ballots. May we make our voices heard.
1 comment:
Okay so this doesn't have anything to do with political stuff, but what a small world. I am in charge of the b-day club at our school and one other mom is helping me do it too. Come to find out, she sees our name on your blog and emails me wondering how I know you guys. Come to find out she is your sister Mike!! Emma and Sarah are pretty good friends and I can't believe what coincidence it is :) Anyway...
Post a Comment